Taking out your military home insurance should allow you to breathe a sigh of relief, knowing your property and possessions are protected should anything happen. Having a policy in place will give you real peace of mind, but people often forget that your insurer needs to be kept up to date with any changes in your circumstances in order to keep your policy valid. If you are making a claim, the last thing you want to discover is that you are no longer insured. Here are a few helpful tips for advice on when you might need to contact your insurer:

  • Any valuable items – most policies have a single claim limit and if you invest in a new gadget worth more than this, it won’t be covered should anything happen. If you think you’ve acquired anything over your limit, let your insurer know so that they can adjust your policy if necessary.
  • Any building work – your insurer may need to know about any building work happening on your property, especially if it is significant such as an extension or loft conversion. Sometimes your home may be considered more at risk during this time, and you want to make sure you are covered during the work as well as after.
  • Change of address – this is an obvious one, but very important! When moving home it can be easy to forget to let your insurer know, but it’s unlikely you will have any cover if the address does not match that on your policy. A new home will normally need to be re assessed and your policy amended as necessary.
  • Medical changes – any changes in your health can lead to lifestyle changes which could affect the risk to your home. For example, if anyone at the address requires regular home visits, the insurer would need to know for security reasons.
  • Windows, doors and locks – if you are making significant changes to, or replacing, any of your windows, doors and locks you should let your insurer know. If you are upgrading them, you may even find your premiums are reduced as a result of increased security!
  • Lodgers – if anyone new is living with you, your insurer will need their details. Without them, if your lodger were to cause any damage in your home, you won’t be covered. It’s the same if you get married, or have a new partner move in, that isn’t already listed on your policy.
  • Occupation – a change in job may not seem like it should affect your policy, but it is something many insurers need to know about, especially if your occupation is changing entirely, ie if you are starting a new career path that involves different hours, any hazardous conditions etc.

Here at Trinity, we make no charges for any amendments to your policy, so you don’t need to worry if there’s a change in your circumstances – just give us a call at 01243 817777 or email hello@talktotrinity and we’ll be happy to help.

Written by Trinity Insurance

Got Something To Say: